The Gift Store Manager oversees the operations of the SMC Gift Store, and supervises one primary assistant and additional volunteers during the summer season. The Manager ensures that a clean, well-organized, attractive and appropriately stocked gift store is made available to customers. The Manager also monitors all financial transactions, which are then reported to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). The Manager is responsible for purchasing items to be sold, communicating with vendors, stocking inventory, electronic bookkeeping, staff assignments, and training new employees.
- Research, select, and buy, unique merchandise.
- Merchandise items in a manner that ensures quick turn-around between investment and return of profit.
- Coordinate with Programs department to bring in program-specific merchandise
- Process and track all purchase orders, accounts payable entries and files, vendor questions, and returns.
- Cash-out and balance all registers, complete deposit forms
- Pick up packages and check in all orders.
- Review and answer all incoming emails-requests and telephone calls as needed.
- Keep registers stocked with proper change, paper bags, etc.
- Fulfill on-line orders
- Stocking as needed.
- Set-up and implement staff assignments, work-schedules, time sheets, and provide appropriate training to new employees/volunteers.
- Manage and grow on-line store
- Create and manage affiliate program
- 3 – 5 years of retail management experience.
- Bachelor’s, Associate’s, or other accredited training in business, communications, or management.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite: Word and Excel
- Proficiency with a point of sales system
- Strong proficiency with budgeting, accounting and other elements of finance.
- Familiarity with Shambhala lineage and practice texts.
- $9.23 per hour, 30-hour work week
- Three meals a day, seven days a week
- A low-cost housing and meal plan (required for on-land living)
- 18 paid personal days per year (combination of vacation and sick days)
- An additional 15 paid program days per year for retreat/program participation
- Solitary retreat time in our retreat cabins on the land
- Biannual paid staff retreat
- Private living spaces (or a private room in a shared cabin)
- The opportunity to enroll in dental insurance
- Guest Nights for friends and family to stay at Shambhala Mountain Center at a discounted rate
- Classes, events, and retreats offered only to Shambhala Mountain Center community members
- The opportunity to take most programs at Shambhala Mountain Center at no cost
- Access to Meditation Instructors
Title: Gift Store Manager
Department: Guest Experience
Reports to: Director of Guest Experience
Supervises: Gift Store Assistant
Classification: Core staff (30 hours per week)