Title: Director of Programs
Department: Program Department
Reports to: Deputy Director of SMC
Classification: Core Staff / Full Time
Position Summary: Shambhala Mountain Center is a contemplative retreat center that provides programs to participants in three general categories: Shambhala Path, Hosted Programs and Rental Programs. The development of programs is managed by the Program Developers who are responsible for bringing presenters and programs to SMC. The on site/on land Program Department is responsible for the operations of the Program Coordination. The Program Coordinators and that department are supervised by the Programs Manager who reports to the Director of Programs.
The Director of Programs at Shambhala Mountain Center is responsible for the oversight of the Programs Department from both a strategic and operational lens. The Program Developers (3) and the Program Manager (1) report directly to this Director of Programs position.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Director of Programs serves as a member of the Executive Council at SMC and is responsible for the direction of the programs area.
- Links operational aspects of program development and planning to business outcomes and revenue stream targets.
- Provides leadership and guidance between Shambhala International (SI) , the Program Developers and the Program Manager positions to ensure that the integrity of programming being provided to participants aligns with the organizational goals and objectives.
- Responsible for ensuring alignment with established protocols from SI and designated staffing models.
- Engages with the executive council and the governing council at SMC and with SI to ensure programs contribute to the long term sustainability of SMC and links business outcomes with target revenue goals.
- Directs the work of the Program Developers and serves as a mediator to business decisions impact work flow and ensuring the integrity of the programs align with revenue needs.
- Works in collaboration with other senior leaders at SMC.
- Holds an executive presence and represents SMC in the sangha and the greater mandala.
This is a complex and multi faceted position that impacts the overall business outcomes of SMC. The required abilities include:
- Ability to lead the work of others in a manner that aligns with the Shambhala view.
- Ability to prioritize work flow in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ability to multi task and manage several large projects at one time.
- Ability to delegate work to direct reports and provides means to follow-up for completion of assignments.
- Ability to manage budgets and evaluate revenue data for future planning and program scheduling.
- Requires knowledge of the Shambhala path and an understanding of the Shambhala lineage.
- Ability to serve as a liaison between SI and SMC leadership.
- Ability to measure outcomes and provide means to track outcomes based on business plans.
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, preferably in the area of business management, leadership or related field.
- Prefer at least 3 years of leadership experience in a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to lead the work of others and maintain relationships at all levels in the organization.
- Senior Practitioners on the Shambhala path or other related paths will be very well suited to understand the role and function of this position due to the need to understand the unique program development process.
FLSA: Exempt / 40 hours per week