Shambhala Mountain Center Staff and Volunteers helping with dining tent Set-Up, Spring 2019. Photo by Kristen Fledderjohn
* Due to the pandemic, we are only accepting new applications for core staff positions *
CHECK BACK SOON FOR SUMMER 2021 EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Shambhala Mountain Center is nestled in a 600-acre mountain valley at an elevation of 8000 feet in the Colorado Rockies. Surrounded by native forests, gentle meadows, and rocky peaks, this powerful land has provided decades of safe & supportive environments for guests, staff, and volunteers to explore paths of deepened awareness, personal well-being, and intentional community.
We retain a year-round core staff, most of whom live and work on our land. Between April and September, volunteers support us in serving thousands of guests.
We balance our devotion to creating a culture of kindness, generosity, and healthy community with hard work; and we celebrate living in the challenge of integrating personal, professional, and community life. We feel incredibly fortunate to live here and invite you to co-create an extraordinary experience with us, in the service of our retreat center, land, and guests.
For information on supporting our weekend or longer programs as Internal Coordinator or Meditation Instructor, please click here.
For all Core Staff and Volunteer Opportunities please find more information below.
What we offer to prospective Core Staff and Volunteers:
- Three meals a day lovingly prepared by our kitchen team and shared in a communal setting
- Access to tea & coffee and toast & fruits all day
- Private living space or a private room in a shared cabin (core staff)
- Dorm or shared tent depending on the season (volunteers)
- Guest Nights for friends and family to stay at SMC at a discounted rate when rooms are available
- Optional community offerings: daily meditation, Yoga, and other creative sharings by community members. Recent examples include; feminine empowerment circle, Love & Social justice meetings and Zumba.
- Optional evening class and Meditation Instruction
- The opportunity to take weekend programs at no cost when it fits with your work schedule. Explore the richness of programs that we offer year round
- Explore our awe-inspiring Stupa
- A discount at our abundant gift store
- Explore our free room in which we exchange clothing, books and other treasures
- Immediate access to wilderness, hikes and a short drive from gorgeous Poudre River and Canyon
- Meet new friends
- Various staff trainings (core staff)
- Biannual staff retreat (core staff)
- Program credit to be used up to two years after your work service (volunteers)
What we look for in prospective Core Staff and Volunteers:
- Authorization to work in the US
- You must be at least 18 years or older by your prospective date of arrival.
- Reliability & Self Motivation
- Proactive problem solving
- Must be able to sit, walk or stand for extended periods
- Willingness to help other departments and team members when needed
- Physical, mental, and emotional stability and resiliency
- Openness to different beliefs and ideas
- The ability to work in a team
- Flexibility, honesty and integrity
- Active listening skills
- The ability and willingness to express appreciation to others
- Openness to constructive feedback
- We live, eat and work in close proximity to our guests. We ask staff and volunteers to use dignified speech and presentable attire, and generally be helpful and customer friendly.
- Willingness to do two ROTA shifts as part of your paid work – which means helping with dishes or similar task for 3+ hours a week in addition to your regular work tasks
- A commitment to uphold Our Values and Code of Ethics
- The strength and flexibility to cope with the inevitable intensity of living and working in a small, dynamic community
Above all, we’re looking for a readiness to work with team members and guests – to respond to that which arises with cheerfulness and a sense of humor
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
We welcome you to join us, explore community life, work and practice at our beautiful mountain home
NOW HIRING: CORE STAFF OPPORTUNITIES:
Join us year round as a full time community and staff member
HIRING HOLD: SUMMER VOLUNTEER POSITIONS:
Our annual volunteer season starts with tent set up in late spring, followed by a transition into full summer with various rewarding volunteer opportunities. The season ends with tent take-down in early fall.
HIRING HOLD: INTERNAL PROGRAM STAFFING:
Support some of our weekend or longer programs as Internal Coordinator or Meditation Instructor