Risk Management and Safety for Our Guests
Updated August 13, 2021
We are grateful to again have the opportunity to offer an in-person SMC experience and remain committed to safeguarding the health and wellbeing of our guests, presenters, and staff.
The COVID-19 guidelines listed below are effective as of August 13, 2021, and were developed following consultation with an epidemiologist and review of CDC, Colorado, and local guidelines and recommendations. While it remains impossible to eliminate all risk of transmission of COVID-19 at SMC, we are dedicated to mitigating as much risk as is practicable.
We recognize the unfortunate reality that our policies and guidelines will preclude some people from visiting at this time, and appreciate your support and patience as we continue to navigate this complex and unprecedented situation.
We will continue to track the pandemic and will adjust our policies accordingly. Updates will be posted to this page.
Thank you for doing your part to help us stay open. We hope to see you soon.
- Due to the increasing rates of the COVID-19 delta variant, the nature of SMC’s facilities, and the fact that people visit SMC from many places, all Registered Guests and Program Presenters (“Registered Guests”) must be fully vaccinated prior to their arrival at SMC. People are considered fully vaccinated two (2) weeks after receiving their second dose in a Pfizer or Moderna 2-dose series, or two (2) weeks after receiving the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
- Registered Guests must provide proof of vaccination on arrival at SMC. You can show your Vaccination Record Card from the CDC or an image of the card, for instance on your phone. We cannot accept other forms of proof, including private apps; self-attestation of vaccination; or a negative COVID-19 test.
- When registering for a program, Registered Guests must certify that they will be fully vaccinated prior to their scheduled arrival and that they will provide proof of vaccination when they arrive.
- Except for the exceptions listed below, all Registered Guests and SMC staff are required to wear masks while in indoor public spaces. Masks are not required in assigned lodge rooms or tents.
- Masks are not required while eating, even indoors. Please wear a mask in the dining tent while waiting in line or serving yourself food.
- Presenters may choose to remove their masks indoors while teaching.
COVID-19 Symptoms & Testing
- Registered Guests must certify on arrival that they are not experiencing symptoms commonly associated with COVID-19, have not experienced any of those symptoms for at least seven (7) days prior to arrival, and agree to inform SMC if they experience COVID-19 symptoms during their stay. SMC will test anyone experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
- Any Registered Guest who tests positive for COVID-19 during their stay will need to depart SMC immediately to seek medical attention or recover elsewhere. We recommend that anyone participating in a program either rent a car or come to SMC in their own vehicle. SMC staff will not be able to provide transportation in these circumstances.
- As current science suggests that there is no reason to test a vaccinated individual who is not experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, tests will be reserved for symptomatic individuals.
- To the best of our ability, we will stagger meal times to limit the exposure of guests in different programs to each other. Please dine only with other members of your program if possible.
- SMC offers single and shared occupancy lodging options. If you select shared lodging that won’t be occupied by others in your household, or lodging that does not include a private restroom, you will be at an increased risk of contracting COVID-19.
Interaction with SMC Staff & Day Visitors
- While SMC encourages staff members to obtain COVID-19 vaccinations, we are not in a position to mandate vaccinations for staff at this time. Although we are not aware of anyone on the SMC staff contracting COVID-19, it is possible that interaction with unvaccinated SMC staff could increase your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- SMC may be open to day visitors while programs are in session. SMC is unable to verify the vaccination status of day visitors.