Awake at Work: Cultivating Confidence, Well-being and Mindfulness on the Job
February 24–26, 2017
Livelihood offers us countless opportunities to express our creativity, build fulfilling relationships, and contribute to our world. Yet research reveals a disturbing fact: going to work can often be downright unhealthy. Rather than leaving work feeling fulfilled and creatively inspired, many of us find ourselves feeling frustrated, driven, even besieged, by a workplace that is distressing – at times even toxic. Such circumstances present us with a beguiling modern day paradox: how can we creatively contribute to our world in the midst of conflict, frustration, and speed?
During this retreat we will explore this paradox and delve into how mindfulness awareness meditation can help us recognize workplace challenges as spiritual invitations to wake up and lead an uplifted, noble life on and off the job.
During this 3-day seminar, we will address:
• What is “mindfulness awareness meditation” and how can it help us engage workplace challenges, stressors, and demands? Participants will learn and practice mindfulness awareness meditation and learn how such a simple act could have profound impact in the workplace
• What is the “wisdom of achieving nothing” and why is it central to promoting a healthy workplace? Participants will review scientific findings on mindfulness, explore the “motivations” behind such a practice and explore how “the awakened mind” can be a profoundly available resource for promoting well-being
• How can mindfulness awareness meditation cultivate emotional and social intelligence?
Participants will explore in detail how mindfulness awareness meditation cultivates self-awareness, positive self-regard, agility, and several other highly sought after workplace talents
• What is “being synchronized” and how does it help us discover profoundly different ways to manage change? Participants will examine how “mindfulness” shifts to “awareness”, which promotes a profoundly different way to engage life and work. Principles like “fearless abundance”, “resonance”, “Shih”, and “Mandala” will be introduced as tools for managing change
• How can we start a meditation practice and bring the wisdom of mindfulness to our work and daily life? Participants will plan ways to bring their experience of mindfulness awareness back to their daily lives both on and off the job
- explore principles from the instructor’s books (Awake at Work, The Mindful Leader , Fearless at Work, Mindful Leadership Training)
- learn mindfulness awareness meditation
- review how such training is being applied in various organizational settings
- discuss how to skillfully bring mindfulness to the job in order to promote health and well-being
- participate in guided meditation sessions throughout the day
8:45 – 9:30 Breakfast
9:30 – 11:00 Guided Meditation
11:00 – 12:30 Lecture & Discussion
12:30 – 2:00 Lunch
2:00 – 2:30 Meditation
2:30 – 3:30 Group Exercise
3:30 – 4:00 Break
4:00 – 5:30 Lecture and Discussion
5:30 Day Ends
Michael is the author of Awake at Work (2004) and Mindful Leadership Training (2016), has held executive positions with Simon & Schuster and The Walt Disney Company, and has taught widely on workplace mindfulness including Harvard, Wharton, Lerab Ling & EVAM Institute. He has been practicing meditation since 1976 and is an authorized teacher in the Kagyu-Nyingma lineage of Tibetan Buddhism.